Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Specified VM Install not found



Launching build.xml has encountered a problem.


Specified VM install not found: type Standard VM, name java70



Did you face any such problem with Eclipse while executing an ANT build file? If yes then this learning experience is for you.


While building an application on eclipse I faced this problem. Initially I was clueless on why this happened. Inside I was like How this can happen to me..I am such a great Java expert, thankfully I was wrong on both the assumptions (because that paved the way for some new learning)

Well, a straight forward solution was to delete the workspace and recreate it, but that wouldn't solve the 'itch' of Why this happened.

Essentially, in my eclipse earlier Java 7 was reference and due to some project specific reasons I had to switch to Java 6, so I simply removed the old JDK reference and added the new one. This is when the problem struck.

On searching further I found the issue was with launch configurations of eclipse as it had taken a reference of JDK7 and was not able to removed or update the reference when I changed the JDK settings.

The directory C:\eclipseworkspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.debug.core\.launches

There you will find the .launch file for your build.xml

liberty-HelloWorld build.xml.launch

There lies the string of the JDK that that eclipse is complaining about. Change the string value of JDK to your installed JDK in eclipse.

voila it works !!

Happy Coding!


PS: Check the fantastic Eclipse Book & do not forget to prepare for your certifications.

No comments:

Post a Comment